- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in two
- chorizo sausage, cut into chunks
- 12 big shrimps (tail on but easy to peel)
- 1 kg of mussels
- 4 calamari, sliced into rings
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, small diced (ideally, not canned, not huge tomatoes)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed (separate into 2 and 3 cloves)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1.5 cups (? enough..) frozen peas
- 1 Lemon, sliced into wedges.
- 1.5L of chicken broth with 2 pinches of saffron
- 2 cups of arborio (or bomba) rice
- 2 generous tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp paprika
Prep all the ingredients (e.g. finely chopping, cutting meat, seafood…), if they are all ready to go, then it’s actually straightforward (although plan 1:30 – 2 hours, prep included)
Combine some olive oil, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 crushed
garlic cloves, and marinate the chicken for 10min in that mixture
Step 2:Make broth with saffron (1.5L of chicken broth with 2 pinches saffron), keep warm, just below boiling.
Once the chicken is marinated, heat small amount of olive oil in the paella pan, cook the chicken on medium high, about 15min. Once cooked (165F), reserve chicken on a dish.
Fry the chorizo for about 4min total on medium hight (flip after 2-3min) in the paella pan, then remove and keep with the chicken. By now, there is some grease in the pan…
Place the 3 diced tomatoes (small dice), 1 finely diced red onion, 1 finely diced pepper, 3 crushed garlic cloves in the paella pan and fry for about 3-4min on medium high.
Add rice and fry for 1-2 min
Add all of the broth (1.5l) into the pan, 1 pinch of saffron, 2tsp paprika. Bring to boil, and simmer just below boiling for 15min.
Add frozen peas and calamari first, and stir them in uniformly. Add the mussels (stick them into the rice, about 1/2 or more of the 1kg of mussels), add the shrimp (push them into the rice uniformly). Cook for an additional 15min.
Steam the rest of the mussels (about 5min on steam)
Remove the steamed mussels from shells. Sprinkle over the rice. Add the chicken and chorizo back onto the rice. Cook 5 min.
Serve with the lemon wedges laid on top.