- Slice diamond pattern in the fat side (score)
- Heat up a pan (not a non-stick one! i.e. a stick one!) to medium high
- Place breasts fat side down, cook 10-15 minutes (with heat on medium soon after putting them in)
- Cook meat side down 3-5 minutes
- Finish off for 1-2 minutes on fat side, then remove from heat
- Drain fat out of pan and keep for other cookings
- Dice a couple of shallots, thrown in the pan with 2-3 tablespoons of the duck fat
- Throw the shallots for 2-3 minutes in the fat
- Add ~1/4 cup of red wine
- Add same amount of broth
- Reduce until good (pretty thick)
- Wait until reduction is ready before slicing the duck (i.e. let it sit!).
- Slide duck breasts diagonally, drizzle with reduction
- Cut pheasant into medallion size pieces
- Fry in butter (use a metal pan, not a non-stick pan) at medium heat
- Remove the pheasant medallions once they are just cooked (do not overcook!)
- Add more butter to the pan
- Add 2 finely chopped shallots and cook at medium heat for ~4 minutes
- Add 2 pears cut into slices, fry for another 2 minutes
- Add a generous amount of white wine (~ 1cup) and reduce on medium high heat
- Add 1/2 cup of broth, reduce more
- Add cream and reduce, but do not let it get thick
- Add the pheasant back in for a minute to reheat
In honour of Scotty Richardson, try this delicious recipe:
RibsRecipe (click to download!)
An easy recipe to fry up some venison steaks and make a little sauce.
- Fry the steaks (about 1-2cm thick) in a generous amount of butter. Do not overcook! It only takes a couple of minutes on each side, you can see the blood come up. Medium high heat.
- Take the steaks out and set aside. There should be quite a bit of liquid in the pan.
- Add about the same amount of red wine as there was liquid, let it reduce.
- Add some milk (a little less than the red wine)
- Let it reduce to a nice consistency, and serve right away!
This goes well with some roasted sweet potatoes. Dice them up, sprinkle some salt and pepper, a little olive oil and about 35min at 400F.
- 100g sugar
- 100g softened butter (room temperature)
- 200g flour
- 1 egg
Mix all until it barely holds together. Don’t over knead. Make into a flattened ball and wrap in seran wrap. Place in freezer for >20min.
Turn oven on to 350F (180C).
Butter a pie dish and flatten dough into it with fingers. Sprinkle some almond meal to keep dough from from getting soggy. Lay fruit inside. Can go in the oven as is, or one can add the following egg custard along with the fruit:
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tsp of vanilla extract
- 1Tsp of corn starch (or flour), mixed into the cream
- 2 dl of cream
Cook in oven for 45min. Let cool.
Mixing random things together and it came out ok:
- 1 shot of gin
- 1 shot of vermouth (cyzano)
- 1/2 shot of lime juice
- 1/3 shot of amaretto
- 3 ice cubes
Served in a tumbler
Tried this with kangaroo meat, was great! Makes 4 burgers…
- 1 lb of ground meat (leaner meat so that burgers don’t shrink)
- ~1-2 tbsp of chopped onion
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- salt, pepper
- paprika (used smoked paprika)
- chile powder (used New Mexico chile powder)
- cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2-1 cup of bread crumbs
Mix it all together, start with 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and add more so that the consistency is right.
- 1 lb of non lean ground beef
- 1 big onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 poblano peppers (substitute 1 green pepper)
- 3-4 jalapenos (reserve 1 or 2 for serving)
- 1-4 habaneros (depending on heat)
- 1 quart mushrooms
- Paprika as needed
- Cumin as needed
- salt, pepper
- New Mexico Chili powder as needed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can of cooked read kidney beans with juice
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1-2 cups of chicken broth/bouillon – add as needed
- 2 chipotle peppers (whole)
Fry the meat, onions and peppers. Mix everything in except reserved jalapenos and simmer for at least 4 hours (6 is better, and it tastes better the next day). Use the spices to taste. Remember to remove the chipotles before serving (use them like a bay leaf). Make a corn bread to serve with it. Slice the remaining jalapenos to serve with the chili.
- 3 lbs of beef roast, no bone
- 1 onion
- 2 peppers
- thyme, parsley, rosemary
- ~1/2 cup mustard
- olive oil
- 2 tbsps of minced garlic
- Heat oven to 450F
- Cut veggies and potatoes, mix with some olive oil and herbs and line the bottom of the pan with them
- Mix herbs, garlic mustard, some olive oil (~2 tbsp). Rub this onto the meat
- Place meat on top of the veggies and place in oven
- After 10 min, lower temperature to 350F
- Cook for a total of 90min (80min after lowering temp)
For 2 people, mix in a blender:
- 1/2 cup of pisco
- 6 tbsp of lime juice
- 4 tbsp of egg white (pasteurized)
- 6 ice cubes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 small tsp bitters (e.g. orange bitters)
Blend it all until no more ice.